Numerous reasons make studying psychology in the United Kingdom attractive. The United Kingdom is known for its high standard of education and has had several years of positive impact. Additionally, this country has more than ten schools that have been ranked in top 50 in the world. However, this is what makes studying psychology in the United Kingdom competitive. Additionally, this course has a rich and prestigious history of competent staff and an educational environment. Their broad curriculum includes areas such as cognitive psychology, biological psychology as well and neuropsychology. You can acquire bachelor’s and master’s degrees in universities in the United Kingdom.
In this piece, I will walk you through the requirements that are needed when applying to study psychology in the United Kingdom.
Requirements to Study Psychology in the United Kingdom
Universities in the United Kingdom accept a wide variety of qualifications and students from different backgrounds. I will list the various qualifications below.
A-level Standard Offer
An A-level certificate is one of the qualifications that can be used to apply for a bachelor’s degree in psychology in the United Kingdom. You must have good grades in your A-level examinations. Therefore, you should have an A* (A-star) grade in your results. This is a grade that is higher than the regular A grade. You should also have an A in science-related subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics.
A- level Contextual Offer
The United Kingdom also accept an A-level certificate with a B. In this offer, the schools reduce up to two grades below the standard entry requirements. This means that you can apply to study psychology if you have a B. Your grades can be an “AAB” with an A in science-related subjects. However, this offer is tied to some conditions such as completing a University’s programme, as well as attending an aspiring state school.
This is another qualification that can be used to study psychology in the United Kingdom. Universities in the United Kingdom accept candidates that have Applied Science BTEC National Level 3 Extended Diploma. Additionally, you must have a high grade to meet this requirement. The grades required are D* as well as a regular D.
International Baccalaureate Diploma
You must have a minimum of 38 points in total to meet the requirement for using the IB Diploma. Additionally, you must have at least 18 points from your total at the Higher level. Furthermore, you must have 6 points in a science-related subject.
You must have an overall percentage of at least 88%. Additionally, you must have at least 8.5 in a science-related subject such as Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, etc.
Scottish Qualifications Authority
This qualification requires applicants to have two grades with A for advanced higher qualification. Additionally, one of the grades should be in a science-related subject. Furthermore, you must have a minimum of five grades with an A for standard higher qualification. They must also be in a science-related subject.
Access to Higher Education Diploma
The United Kingdom also accept this qualification in areas such as biomedical/health science, humanities, social sciences or psychology. You must have at least 45 graded Level 3 credits. Additionally, this must include a minimum of 30 credits at distinction and 15 at merit. Furthermore, you must have at least 12 credits at distinction in a science-related subject.
The United Kingdom also accepts students who live outside UK environments to study with them. However, the level of qualifications needed depends on your country. You can find out the qualifications needed from your country here from the university’s website that you would like to study with.
English Language Requirements
You need to take an English language proficiency test if English is not your first language. Universities in the UK accept test certificates such as IELTS and GCSE. You are expected to have a minimum of 7.0 overall in IELTS. Additionally, you must have at least 7.0 in writing and 6.5 in other skills. Furthermore, you must have a grade of B or 6 in GCSE. You can check the school’s website for alternative qualifications that you can use in place of this.
GCSE Profile requirements
This is a requirement to test your numeracy ability. You must have at least a grade B or 6 in GCSE Mathematics or equivalent.
Requirements to Obtain a Masters Degree in Psychology in the United Kingdom
Have a Bachelor’s Degree
You should have a bachelor’s honours degree in Psychology or a relevant field. Additionally, you must have at least 3.0 out of 4.0 GPA from a recognized university. Furthermore, you can have at least an 8 out of 10 GPA or Grade C or 55-60% aggregate.
Have Academic Transcripts
You must submit official academic transcripts of your previous education. This transcript must contain all your courses and grades that you have studied. Additionally, this transcript must be an official one and it must be written in English.
You need to have relevant prior professional experience in the field of psychology. This may not be a compulsory requirement for all schools. However, it can make you stand out amongst other applicants.
English Language Proficiency
You will be required to write an English Language proficiency test if English is not your first language. Additionally, you must show proof of your English proficiency test. The minimum score for the IELTS is 6.5 to 7.5 overall score. Additionally, the minimum score for TOEFL iBT is 88 to 110 overall score.
- Recommendation Letters: You need to have at least three recommendation letters. It should consist of 2 academic and 1 professional letter obtained. These letters must be gotten from an employer or a previous lecturer. Therefore, recommendation letters from a friend or family will be rejected.
- Statement of Purpose: You must write a statement of purpose explaining your qualifications, your plans as well as the reason why you are choosing to study psychology in the UK. Additionally, this essay must be 500-750 words or 1-2 pages long. This can vary depending on the university’s requirements.
- Resume/CV- You need to submit an updated resume or curriculum vitae showcasing your work experience. Additionally, you can add your professional certifications if you have any.
How to Apply
You can apply to the school of your choice through the school’s website. You can apply for an undergraduate program as well as a postgraduate program. Additionally, you need to verify each school’s requirements before filling out the application form.
The duration of studying psychology in the United Kingdom varies. It depends on the program and the choice of study. The bachelor’s degree in psychology in the United Kingdom lasts for three to four years. This is a full-time program. The University does not offer a part-time study for this course. Additionally, the duration for a master’s degree is one year for full-time study and two years for part-time study.
The tuition fee for studying psychology varies for international students as well as the particular university. International students pay higher tuition fees than home students. The average amount for an undergraduate degree ranges from £20,000 to £40,000 annually. Additionally, the average amount for a postgraduate degree ranges from £4,000 to £22,000 annually.
Universities in the United Kingdom that offer Psychology
- University of Derby, Derby, Derbyshire
- Coventry University, Coventry, West Midlands
- University of Exeter, Exeter, Devon
- University of Leicester, Leicester, Leicestershire
- Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire and Chelmsford, Essex
- University of Bristol, Bristol, Bristol
- University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland
- Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cardiff, Wales
- University of Lincoln, Lincoln, England
- University of Warwick, Coventry, England
- Queen’s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Kingston University, Kingston upon Thames, England
- Swansea University, Swansea, Wales
- Aston University, Birmingham, England
- University of Plymouth, Plymouth, England
- University of Bath, Bath, England
- Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire, England
- University of Portsmouth,Portsmouth, England
- Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
- University of Bradford, Bradford, England
- University of Southampton, Southampton, England
- Ulster University, Northern Ireland
- Leeds Beckett University, Leeds, England
- University of Chester, Chester, England
- University of Westminster, London, England
- Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, England
- Durham University, Durham, England
- Teesside University, Middlesbrough, England
- London Metropolitan University,
- University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland
- Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales
- The University of Hull, Hull, England
- University of Sussex, Brighton, England
- Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
- University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland
- Aberystwyth University, Aberystwyth, Wales
- Lancaster University, Lancaster, England
- University of Nottingham, Nottingham, England
- Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Birmingham City University, Birmingham, England
- University of Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, England
In Conclusion, you need to understand the requirements needed for studying psychology in the United Kingdom. Your qualifications should align with the university’s requirements before making an application. You can do this by making verifications on the school’s website. Additionally, you can reach out to us for further assistance on how to apply.