Australia is one of the best countries to study computer science. This is because of its advancements in technology as well as the diverse fields of computer science that are studied. Additionally, Australia has gained a reputation for being at the forefront of the technological industry. They have been involved in a lot of technological advancements that have had a positive impact globally. These are one of the reasons most aspiring computer scientists choose to study computer science in Australia. Studying computer science in Australia will give you access to quality education as well as a technological-driven environment.
Studying computer science in Australia will enable you to acquire the knowledge and hands-on skills necessary to build, create, and assess systems based on technology. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to gain employment in a digital society with a high earning potential. However, you must have the basic requirements before you can study computer science in Australia.
In this piece, I will walk you through the academic requirements that are needed for studying computer science in Australia.
Requirements for Studying Computer Science in Australia
Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree
You must have a bachelor’s degree before you can study masters in computer science in Australia. This bachelor’s degree must be a 4-year program from a recognised university. Additionally, this bachelor’s degree must be in a field related to computer science. These can be fields such as information technology, computer science, network engineering, computer science etc. Additionally, you must submit your academic transcript showing all the grades and courses you offered.
Have a high GPA
You need to have a high GPA to obtain a master’s degree in computer science. The minimum GPA required for admission is a 5.0 on a scale of 7.0. Therefore, you need to make sure that your GPA is qualified to meet the requirements.
Submit your Academic Transcripts
You must submit an academic transcript of your bachelor’s degree. This transcript must contain all your courses and grades that you have studied. Additionally, this transcript must be an official one and it must be written in English.
English Proficiency Test
You will be required to write an English Language proficiency test if English is not your first language. Additionally, you must show proof of your English proficiency test. The minimum score for IELTS is 6.5. However, the test and test score can vary depending on the country and Australian university.
Write a Statement of Purpose
You must write a statement of purpose explaining your qualifications, your future plans as well as the reason why you are choosing to study computer science in Australia. Additionally, this essay must be 1-2 pages long.
Letters of Recommendation
You must submit at least three recommendation letters during your application. These letters must be gotten from an employer or a previous lecturer. Therefore, recommendation letters from a friend or family will be rejected.
Submit your CV
Your CV should contain all the relevant work experiences you have in this field.
How to Apply
Firstly, you need to find out the universities that offer computer science in Australia. Secondly, you can apply to your choice of school through the application portal on the university’s website.
The duration for studying computer science in Australia depends on the type of degree. You can obtain an undergraduate degree as well as a postgraduate degree in computer science. Bachelor’s degree in computer science takes about 3-4 years. Additionally, a master’s degree in computer science in Australia takes one or two years depending on various universities.
The tuition fees for studying computer science in Australia differs for various universities. Additionally, International students pay higher tuition fees. Therefore, the average tuition fees for a bachelor’s degree is AU$16,000 to AU$48,000 per year. While the average tuition fee for a postgraduate degree is AU$37,000 to AU$91,000 per year.
Universities in Australia that Offer Computer Science Courses
- Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, New South Wales
- Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia
- The University of Adelaide College, Adelaide, South Australia
- Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria
- University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland
- Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
- The University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales
- Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia
- University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales
- Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland
- University of the Sunshine Coast, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
- James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland
- La Trobe University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Western Sydney University, Sydney, New South Wales
- Torrens University Australia, Adelaide, South Australia
- Macquarie University, Sydney, New South Wales
- The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria
- University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales
- Victoria University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland
- The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
- University of Canberra, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- University of New England, Armidale, New South Wales
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales
- Bond University, Gold Coast, Queensland
- University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales
- Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Victoria
- Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Northern Territory
- Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Southern Cross University, Lismore, New South Wales
- Stanley College, Perth, Western Australia
- The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland
- The Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
In conclusion, studying computer science in Australia can be an exciting venture toward your career. Australia is well equipped with technological facilities as well as good education to make you a professional. However, you can have a chance of gaining admission if you meet the admission requirements and make your applications early. Finally, you can reach out to us for further inquiries or assistance.