Studying architecture in the United States is an excellent idea to learn about the beauty, creativity and the legacy of buildings. In the United States, there are various schools and universities that offer innovative education that are beneficial to raising young architects all over the world. Additionally, studying architecture in the United States will give the access to a lot of career options to consider.
However, studying architecture in the United States can only be possible if you have the requirements that are needed for admission. You must have a creative portfolio and all the required documents before you can secure a spot in a university to study architecture in the United States.
In this piece, I will guide you through the basic admission requirements that are needed for studying architecture in the United States.
Requirements for Studying Architecture in the United States
High School Certificate
You must have completed your high school/secondary education before you can study architecture in the United States. Additionally, you must
have a certificate that shows that you have completed your secondary education. Therefore, you should have a GPA of at least 2.5 to be admitted into the university. Additionally, you need to have high grades in your certificate. You should have good grades in subjects such as Mathematics, Physics and other science subjects.
Have a Creative Portfolio
You need to have a creative portfolio when making your application. This portfolio will serve as a proof of your skills and design abilities. It will display all the designs and sketches you have carried out. This portfolio is needed for both undergraduate and postgraduate applicants. However, if an undergraduate applicant does not have a portfolio yet, you can get recommendation letters from your teachers.
Write the Standardized Tests
You need to write the standardized tests. You can write tests such as SAT(Scholastic Assessment Test) or ACT(American College Testing). Each university has a particular score that an applicant is supposed to meet. Therefore, you should verify from your university of choice. You need to know the university’s required score before applying.
International students are required to take an English Language Proficiency Test. Different universities have the preferred test that they use for screening. The minimum test for IELTS is 7.0. However, you need to verify from your school of interest to know the test you can take.
Have a Bachelor’s Degree
If you are applying for a postgraduate degree, you need a bachelor’s degree. Therefore, you must have a bachelor’s degree in Architecture or a related field. Additionally, you should have a minimum of second class upper honours. Furthermore, you should also have a creative portfolio.
Submit Academic Transcripts
You need to submit your academic transcripts during your application. Your transcripts should contain all the courses you studied as well as the grades. Additionally, your transcript must be submitted in the English Language.
Graduate Recommendation Test(GRE)
You need to write the GRE tests in order to gain admission. However, this is needed if you are applying for a postgraduate course.
Letters of Recommendation
You need to have at least three recommendation letters. It should consist of 2 academic and 1 professional letters. These letters must be gotten from an employer or a previous lecturer. Therefore, recommendation letters from a friend or family will be rejected.
You have to write a personal statement or essay stating why you wish to study architecture in the United States. This is important whether you are studying for an undergraduate or a postgraduate degree. This personal statement is a crucial requirement for admission. Additionally, you should also discuss your career goals and how your academic and personal background has prepared you to study architecture.
If you are applying for a postgraduate course in architecture, you need to submit a CV. This CV should contain your area of interest as well as your achievements. Additionally, it should contain your work experiences.
How to Apply
You can apply to study architecture by applying through the school’s website. However, if you are applying for a postgraduate degree, you need to pay an application fee. The application fee ranges from 35 USD to 100 USD. Additionally, you should also submit a portfolio of any creative work done previously.
The duration for studying architecture in the United States varies depending on the type of degree you are studying. The Undergraduate degree lasts for four – five years. However, the postgraduate degree lasts for about two – three years.
The tuition fee for studying engineering in the United States from $20,000 to $58,000 per year. However, this may vary depending on the university and the type of degree. Additionally, International students pay higher tuition fees.
Universities in the United States that Offer Architecture
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee
- George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- New York University, New York City, New York
- Miami University, Oxford, Ohio
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
- Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
- Suffolk University, Boston, Massachusetts
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Nevada
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois
- University of Houston, Houston, Texas
- University of Hartford, West Hartford, Connecticut
- University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, Missouri
- Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, Michigan
- Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, Kentucky
- University of New Haven, West Haven, Connecticut
- East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee
- Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana
- Portland State University, Portland, Oregon
- Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
- Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- University of Dallas, Irving, Texas
- University of San Diego, San Diego, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Rice University, Houston, Texas
In Conclusion, studying architecture in the United States can be quite challenging. However, the rewards are numerous with vast career opportunities. The admission process can be daunting as well. Therefore, you need to make the necessary preparations in order to have a chance. Additionally, you should verify and make sure that your qualifications are in line with the school’s requirement before you apply. Feel free to reach out to us for further inquires and assistance!