Studying architecture in Australia will equip you with a range of technologies and methods that will enable you to create intriguing designs. Architecture is one of the top courses that most people love to study in Australia. This course will give you the leverage to combine your artistic as well as science abilities. Additionally, you will gain full knowledge on how to carry out concepts and plans that are related to buildings and structures.
Australia is well known for offering quality education and academic excellence. The universities in Australia are known for offering advanced knowledge in architectural designs as well as technical and practical learnings. Additionally, you will have vast career opportunities because the demand for architectural designs is high.
In this piece, I will discuss the qualifications that are needed for studying architecture in Australia.
Requirements for Studying in Architecture
Complete your Secondary Education
You must have completed your secondary education before you can study architecture in Australia. Additionally, you should have a strong foundation in science subjects such as mathematics, physics, Chemistry, and English in your high school results. Therefore, you must have completed 12 years of education or equivalent. However, this can differ across universities in Australia.
English Proficiency Test
You will be required to write an English Language proficiency test if English is not your first language. Additionally, you must show proof of your English proficiency test. It can be tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE. This test can vary based on the university you apply to. Additionally, each school will have the minimum score that you should have in the English test. The minimum score for IELTS is 6.5.
Have Academic Transcripts
You must submit an academic transcript of your previous education. This transcript must contain all your courses and grades that you have studied. Additionally, this transcript must be an official one and it must be written in English.
Have Reference Letters
You must submit at least two reference letters during your application. This reference letter should be from a teacher or an employer. Therefore, reference letters from friends or family will be rejected.
Statement of Purpose
Some schools in Australia may require you to write a statement of purpose. This is an essay that explains why you want to study architecture in Australia and your career plans. Additionally, you should check the school’s website to know the amount of words that you are required to write in your statement of purpose.
Requirements to Obtain a Master’s Degree in Architecture in Australia
Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree
You must have a bachelor’s degree before you can study masters in architecture in Australia. This bachelor’s degree must be a 3- 4-year program from a recognized university. Additionally, this bachelor’s degree must be in a field related to architecture. Furthermore, you must submit your academic transcript showing all the grades and courses you offered.
English Proficiency Test
You will be required to write an English Language proficiency test if English is not your first language. Additionally, you must show proof of your English proficiency test. The minimum score for IELTS is 6.5. However, the test and test scores can vary depending on the country and Australian university.
Design and Architecture Portfolio
Some universities might require you to have a design portfolio. This will demonstrate your skills to demonstrate and articulate design ideas. Therefore, this can be about 5-10 pieces of your work.
Write a Statement of Purpose
You must write a statement of purpose explaining your qualifications, your plans as well and the reason why you are choosing to study architecture in Australia. Additionally, this essay must be 1-2 pages long.
Letters of Recommendation
You must submit at least three recommendation letters during your application. These letters must be obtained from an employer or a previous lecturer. Therefore, recommendation letters from a friend or family will be rejected.
Submit your CV
Your CV should contain all the relevant work experiences you have in this field.
How to Apply
Firstly, you need to find out the universities that offer architecture in Australia. Secondly, you can apply to your choice of school through the application portal on the university’s website.
The duration of studying architecture in Australia depends on the type of degree. You can obtain an undergraduate degree as well as a postgraduate degree in architecture. Bachelor’s degree in architecture takes about 3-4 years. Additionally, a master’s degree in Architecture in Australia takes one or two years depending on various universities while a doctoral degree takes four years.
The tuition fees for studying architecture in Australia differ for various universities. Additionally, International students pay higher tuition fees. Generally, the average tuition fee is between 28,000 AUD – 60,000 AUD per year.
Universities in Australia that Offer Architecture
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales
- University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales
- The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia
- The University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales
- University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania
- University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales
- Western Sydney University, Sydney, New South Wales
- Victoria University, Melbourne, Victoria
- University of Canberra, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
- Deakin University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Griffith University, Brisbane and Gold Coast, Queensland
- James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland
- Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Victoria
- The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria
- University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
- The University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney, New South Wales
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria
- University of Western Australia , Perth, Western Australia
- TAFE Queensland, Queensland
- UTS College, Sydney, New South Wales
- UNSW College, Sydney, New South Wales
- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland
- Macquarie University, Sydney, New South Wales
- Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales
- La Trobe University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
- University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland
In Conclusion, studying architecture in Australia can come with effective screening procedures for most universities. Therefore, you need to prepare the required necessary document. Additionally, you must confirm via the school’s website before applying. Finally, if you have any further questions or need assistance, please contact us.