A career in hotel management is one of the most interesting career paths that allow daily engagement with a wide range of people. This career path is in high demand in Nigeria today as a result of the rapid increase in premium and standard hotels.
A hotel manager is a professional who is in charge of the administrative functions of a hotel or a resort. They are responsible for ensuring that guests in a hotel are well-welcomed and taken care of. This career path requires certain qualities and skills to excel greatly as you will deal more with the welfare of people.
This piece will give you a guide on how to start a successful hotel management career.
Steps to Start a Career in Hotel Management
Obtain an O’level Certificate
This is the first step to starting your career in hotel management. You need to register a maximum of nine(9) subjects in WAEC, NECO or GCE. Additionally, you should have at least five(5) credit passes in subjects including Mathematics, English Language and Economics.
Register for JAMB and Post-UTME examination
You should register for subjects such as the Use of English, Mathematics, Economics and Food and Nutrition. You must score 200 and above to get admitted into the university. Additionally, Universities will require you to take a post-UTME which is a factor in getting admitted.
Apply to an Accredited University
While preparing for the JAMB exam, you should research approved universities in Nigeria that provide degrees in hotel management. You can apply to the schools of your choice. A list of some universities can be seen below.
Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree:
A bachelor’s degree in hospitality and management can be a stepping stone in your career as a hotel manager. You must complete the required curriculum to obtain a bachelor’s degree.
Develop Interpersonal Skills
This is a major requirement for a Hotel manager. You must pay attention to developing skills including communication and integrity. Additionally, you will have the ability to relate with both staff and customers as a professional.
Gain Practical Experience
Without prior experience, it is nearly impossible to secure a job as a hotel manager as a fresh graduate. As a result, you should seek internships and entry-level work positions by applying to roles in hotels and similar positions.
Join a Professional Body
This is important to connect with senior professionals and colleagues in your sector. You can join organisations such as the Hospitality and Tourism Management Association of Nigeria (HATMAN).
Basic Skills to Build while Pursuing a Career in Hotel Management
Hotel management is a highly skilled occupation, requiring a diverse mix of practical business knowledge and advanced soft skills. To succeed in this career path, you need to build the following skills.
- Time management
- Emotional Intelligence
- Attention to detail
- Customer service
- Operational Management
- Industry knowledge
- Financial management
- Conflict Management
Careers in Hotel Management
- General Manager: The general manager in a hotel is in charge of controlling the hotel budget and giving reports of the hotel’s performance to the executives. They monitor all other facilities within the hotel.
- Sales Manager: The role of a sales manager is to focus on increasing profits by finding new customers by selling hotel rooms, hotel facilities, wedding services and hotel products.
- Front Desk Manager: A front desk manager is responsible for overseeing front desk operations. This may mean performing front desk tasks, supervising front desk employees, and taking on budgeting, hiring, and training duties.
- Housekeeping Manager: The housekeeping manager is in charge of coordinating the staff that takes care of the hotel and ensuring that the hotel remains clean always.
- Revenue Manager: The revenue manager is in charge of taking strategic approaches to optimize financial results and ensuring that products within the hotel are sold at the right time.
- Restaurant Manager: The restaurant manager focuses on managing the restaurant operations including the quality of the food, sanitation, staff and financial performance.
- Food and Beverage Manager: They oversee the ordering and storage processes for all ingredients and refreshments within the hotel. This can include food going to hotel restaurants, room service preparation stations, complimentary drinks and snacks and snack bars with packaged and refrigerated snacks for sale.
Universities in Nigeria that offer Degrees in Hotel Management
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti
- Imo State University, Owerri
- University of Port Harcourt
- Cross River State University of Technology
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti
- Federal University, Wukari
Salary of Hotel Managers
Hotel managers in Nigeria earn an average monthly pay of N150,000 to N300,000. This may differ based on the amount of experience and the sort of hotel.
A career in hotel management can provide you with new and interesting opportunities and job perks. If you are aiming to pursue a successful career in this field, you should focus on building important soft skills and obtaining a degree in hotel management. Additionally, you can focus on furthering your education and acquiring vast skills that can allow you to explore different niches in the hospitality and tourism sector.