Australia is known for being at the forefront of technology. This is because of all the innovations that have taken place in the country. As a result, studying computer science in Australia will allow you to benefit from the technological wealth of this country. Australia is a great place to study computer science. It has prestigious universities that offer quality education in computer science. You will gain the right skills and become Proficient in technical knowledge that is useful around the world. You gain in-depth knowledge in areas such as artificial intelligence, computer systems, database systems, and many more.
Studying Computer Science in Australia can give you a globally recognized certificate that can allow you to work anywhere in the world. Before you can study any course in Australia including computer science, you must have fulfilled all the admission requirements. Therefore, this piece contains all the requirements and qualifications that you should have before studying computer science in Australia.
Requirements for Studying Computer Science in Australia
Complete your Secondary Education
You must have completed your secondary education before you can study computer science in Australia. Additionally, it would help if you had a strong foundation in science subjects such as mathematics, physics, statistics, Computer Science, and English in your high school results. Therefore, you must have completed 12 years of education or equivalent. However, this can differ across universities in Australia.
Meet the Aggregate Score
The minimum aggregate required for your 12th-grade result is 60-70%. However, this score varies across universities as it can be higher or lower in some universities.
English Proficiency Test
You will be required to write an English Language proficiency test if English is not your first language. Additionally, you must show proof of your English proficiency test. It can be tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE. This test can vary based on the university you apply to. Additionally, each school will have the minimum score that you should have in the English test. The minimum score for IELTS is 6.5.
Have Academic Transcripts
You must submit an academic transcript of your previous education. This transcript must contain all your courses and grades that you have studied. Additionally, this transcript must be an official one and it must be written in English.
Have Reference Letters
You must submit at least two reference letters during your application. This reference letter should be from a teacher or an employer. Therefore, reference letters from friends or family will be rejected.
Statement of Purpose
Some schools in Australia may require you to write a statement of purpose. This is an essay that explains why you want to study computer science in Australia and your career plans. Additionally, you should check the school’s website to know how many words you are required to write in your statement of purpose.
Requirements to Obtain a Master’s Degree in Computer Science in Australia
Obtain a Bachelor’s Degree
You must have a bachelor’s degree before you can study master’s in computer science in Australia. This bachelor’s degree must be a 4-year program from a recognised university. Additionally, your weighted average mark should be at 75% or equivalent.
English Proficiency Test
You will be required to write an English Language proficiency test if English is not your first language. Additionally, you must show proof of your English proficiency test. The minimum score for IELTS is 6.5. However, the test and test scores can vary depending on the country and Australian university.
Write a Statement of Purpose
You must write a statement of purpose explaining your qualifications, your plans as well and the reason why you are choosing to study computer science in Australia. Additionally, this essay must be 1-2 pages long.
Letters of Recommendation
You must submit at least three recommendation letters during your application. These letters must be obtained from an employer or a previous lecturer. Therefore, recommendation letters from a friend or family will be rejected.
Submit your CV
Your CV should contain all the relevant work experiences you have in this field.
How to Apply
Firstly, you need to find out the universities that offer computer science in Australia. Secondly, you can apply to your choice of school through the application portal on the university’s website.
The duration of computer science in Australia depends on the type of degree. You can obtain an undergraduate degree as well as a postgraduate degree in Computer Science. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science takes about 3-4 years. Additionally, a master’s degree in computer science in Australia takes one or two years depending on various universities.
The tuition fees for studying computer science in Australia differ for various universities. Additionally, International students pay higher tuition fees. Generally, the average tuition fee is between 16,000 AUD – 47,000 AUD per year.
Universities in Australia that Offer Computer Science
- University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria
- University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales
- Monash University, Melbourne, Victoria
- University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland
- University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales
- Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland
- University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia
- University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
- Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland
- University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales
- Macquarie University, Sydney, New South Wales
- University of Wollongong, Wollongong, New South Wales
- University of Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales
- Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia
- La Trobe University, Melbourne, Victoria
- RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria
- University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia
- Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Victoria
- Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia
- Western Sydney University, Sydney, New South Wales
- University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania
- James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland
- University of Canberra, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
- Edith Cowan University, Perth, Western Australia
- Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
- Victoria University, Melbourne, Victoria
- Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, Wagga
- Central Queensland University, Rockhampton, Queensland
- University of New England, Armidale, New South Wales
- University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba, Queensland
- Federation University Australia, Ballarat, Victoria
- Australian Catholic University, Australia
- Bond University, Gold Coast, Queensland
- Southern Cross University, Lismore, Coffs
- Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Northern Territory
- University of the Sunshine Coast, Sunshine Coast, Queensland
- University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney, New South Wales
Finally, you ought to explore the essential requirements of the university where you want to study before making your application. You should also submit your applications well in advance of the deadline. This is done to improve your chances of admission. If you have any further questions or require assistance, please contact us.